HM Cyclones for Coal
- The heavy media cyclone used in the coal industry is an extremely efficient cleaning device using finely ground (-325 mesh) magnetite and water as the “media”.
- The media density primarily determines separating gravity.
- A relatively wide range of coal sizes can be cleaned in a wide range of cyclone sizes.
- Ceramic lining is critical since highash “refuse” is very abrasive.
- Pressure should be kept relatively low to reduce classification of magnetite particles.
- Heavy Media Cyclones are usually operated in a near-horizontal orientation allowing for large apex sizes to be used for refuse removal.